Wednesday, November 7, 2007

This Week

November 5, 2007

It’s A Small World After All

Yesterday we went to La Mission. It is the church we will be attending. I really enjoyed it. The music was great with lots of enthusiasm! There was a guest preacher. Guess where he was from? Little Rock, Arkansas! We couldn’t believe it! He spoke with a translator. We enjoyed the time and meeting people.

It has been easy to meet people here. We get stared at a lot with all of the blonde children and especially the baby. Chandler says she doesn’t like it. I keep telling her it is because she is so pretty! J

First Day Of School!

We had a good day of school. Bo and I each have our own tutors, the girls have one, the boys have one, and there is someone to play with George and Lily. The girls that watch George and Lily are thrilled to have them! I don’t think many people bring their 3 month old or 2 year old! So, they get lots of attention. I don’t know if Lily will ever get put down! It is ok, though. I am happy that she is being loved. I like my teacher. We just had a conversation and asked each other questions about ourselves- Much more like visiting than studying. I like the relational part of that. I know I will learn more that way too! The kids played games and learned words in their class. After school, we walked to the little store for ice cream cones to celebrate! It was great!

Did I mention it rains every afternoon? It is so weird. We wake up early to the beautiful sunshine and it gets pretty hot (probably 80) and just when I think, “Ok, I am hot” a dark cloud rolls in and it rains for the rest of the afternoon and sometimes into the night. It is nice that it cools us off for the night. It is the rainy season here, but I am so thankful that it the sun shines most of the day!

Our First Week Here..

Nov 6 we have been here 1 week. Seems like longer right now. It is good to start school have some things to do. School is really great, but I feel like my head might explode. There is so much to learn! I like my teacher Diana. She is young and I enjoy talking with her. On Thursday we are going shopping as our lesson. Sounds good to me! The kids seem to enjoy their classes too. They keep telling me they didn’t do school, but played games, went on walks, look at books (all in Spanish of course) Funny, they don’t even realize they are studying and learning!!

We went to the neighbor’s house for a birthday party Carne Asada! Yum! It was fun! The children run all around the road and the adults visit (sound familiar?) Bo had gone into Turrialba, so it was just me and the kids. I listened to the women and picked up a few words here and there. I hope to be able to converse more with then some day. One thing that is funny… the moms dress their babies up with hats, socks, and layers of clothing in the evening when it cools off. It really isn’t cool, only the sun has gone behind the mountains. (about 75-80 degrees) Lily is usually only dressed in a onesie. All of the other women are so concerned about her being cold and constantly ask me if she is ok. J

November 7

Lily is 3 Months Old! She is so precious! Happy Birthday Lily!

Please pray for George and Lily. They are all mixed up on their sleeping. Lily hasn’t slept well all day since we started school and by the end of the day she is a crying mess. George doesn’t nap and goes to sleep by 6pm then is up all through the night and up for good by 5 am. It is wearing on Bo and me! The sun comes up early and there is a lot of noise outside by 5 am and George wants to watch out the window. All of that would be ok if he hadn’t been up every hour since 2 am! Whew… they need a little sleep adjustment.

Some things to pray for us:

To have the “gift of language” and remember what we study

For us to grow closer as a family and to God

George and Lily to adjust to sleeping arrangements

For us to be able to get a telephone (there are only a certain # available because of a monopoly here)

Much love from here,

3 comments:

Becky said...

It sounds like things are going pretty well! I will pray for the kids sleep. I'm know it is exhausting, especially when you cannot sleep during the day because of school and the other kids. We think about you guys lots!

Christy said...

Sorry about the no sleep thing. Bummer. We will pray. I'm usually up in the middle of the night so I will pray then. I'm glad you've been able to have a coke and also that you have a good helper in Sadie. We miss you all so much but it is good to hear it's going well.

3 more weeks!!!

Love ya.

Laura said...

Hi friend. Great to read updates and see pictures. Please send more! It is fun to see you all in your new world. I will pray that George and Lily adjust to their new routine and surroundings and SLEEP peacefully for you. We all know how precious that is! Cruz says "Hi" She misses you all dearly, especially George. She is doing much better. I miss our phone chats...it does seem like you all have been gone longer already. I pray your family time is a treasure during this adventure. We love you and would love lots more pictures! Miss you friend...Love to You All.