Monday, November 12, 2007

Random thoughts

We're still here. Our time on the internet is limited. We have had some highs and lows during the first two weeks. It has definitely been a positive experience. Most of the lows were probably common "culture shock". It rains a lot. It has been fun to watch our home become a magnet for children in the neighborhood. Here are some very basic observations that I have made. Children do not need to speak the same language in order to have fun together. Girls enjoy beads and dolls. Boys enjoy balls, trucks, and dirt. Kids make messes. Boys make most of them. Charlie likes to throw a baseball in the street every day. The other boys want to be the first to get one of the other "guantes" (gloves). If Charlie notices someone walking by, he likes to show how hard he can throw the ball. Costa Ricans are "futbol" (soccer) enthusiasts and not baseball enthusiasts. Their hand-eye coordination is obviously not as important in soccer. We have met a few neighbors by looking for baseballs in their yard. It rains a lot in Costa Rica. Boys play rough. Butterfly bandaids are very useful for cuts to the head. We enjoy watching "Madagascar" and "The Incredibles" in Spanish. We don 't understand everything, but the plot remains the same. I know a lot more Spanish than I thought I did. I also realize that I have so much to learn. We took some video from the church service last night and also of our walk from the house to the school this morning. We are planning to send a CD to our family. Perhaps we will figure out how to upload it to the blog. Did I mention that it rains a lot.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Yes, you mentioned it rained a lot!!!

Kayla
P.S. Tell Chandler to e-mail me at chelsydog@bartlesville.net
Kayla Holley.
She can also e-mail Kayla Girard through my e-mail. Just tell her to send it to my e-mail at the top.

I miss you a lot!!