Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It Is ¨So Cold¨ Outside! & A Lessson


It has been “really cold” here the past week. The temperature dipped down to the low 70s and the people broke out the winter clothes. Here is a picture of Charlie and JD with a friend Tommy. Soon after this Tommy’s mom dressed Charlie and JD in jacket also¨:-)

Another lesson in appreciation…Maybe my time here is to help my family and me to be more appreciative of this life. Almost daily, I find myself immensely thankful for one thing or another. On Sunday this week, I spent about 3 hours bleaching and scrubbing (with a lot of muscle power) J our strollers and 3 backpacks. You see, many things here grow mold. Each week, the people here pull out their bleach and wash everything. The climate is very damp everyday. Our strollers get wet in the rain and just don’t dry. George’s car seat has been setting on top of a dresser for 2 months and I just happened to find it covered in green furry mold!!! OK, what would I do at home?? THROW IT ALL AWAY! Well, I can’t do that here. I can’t buy these things very easily or very cheaply. Nor, can I buy new ones every week, so what do I do? I roll up my sleeves and scrub them until my fingers are raw with the rest of the women in Tuis. I have to be a good steward of the things with which God has blessed me. At home I would argue it is not worth my time. Maybe not, but here, it is just not an option. Well, I never knew bleach kills mold and doesn’t change the color of my strollers, or backpacks, or carseats. Now I know. :-)

1 comment:

Christy said...

We need to let those people experience an Oklahoma Winter. (:

Happy scrubbing. It's a small price to pay to live in such a beautiful climate right?

Love you!!!!