Wednesday, April 9, 2008

OK, So what next?

Well, we are home. Now what? Everyone asks this question. It is weird that I don't have an answer. I am so glad to be home! I am so happy for hot water, carpet floors, eating without fear- but, I feel like I am in a bit of a fog. We have seen and experienced so much and life here went on- business as usual. It is as if I am standing outside of a fast-moving merri-go-round trying to figure out how to jump back on. Everyone is yelling at me to take their hand and they will pull me back in........ I see all of my dearest friends and family there, and it looks like fun, but I am not sure I want back on. Is there a merri-go-round that moves a little slower? Maybe I will just stick to the swing-set across the park. I have so many jumbled thoughts that I can't figure out how to put them into words. I learned so much in Costa Rica and really enjoyed our time there as a family with little to do. Life just strolls along there. I love that. But I must admit I did have my share of being completely bored out of my wits! I know I want to spend more time with my friends and family. I also want to use our Spanish somehow. I want to be more focused on relationships. The big question is HOW???? How do I live here in this culture that God has put me in and slow things down? I'll let you know if I figure out any of the answers. I want to write more about our time in Costa Rica and sort of an end to that story (if there is one). Maybe those thoughts will come soon.

9 comments:

Christy said...

I feel your pain. If I could, I'd find my own swingset across the street too. But, somehow, I'm right in the middle of the BIG fast moving one. ):

Let me know if you figure it out...

Dalene said...

Hey...I'VE GOT IT!!!... LET'S START A CULTURAL REVOLUTION! (especially if it means a mandatory afternoon siesta).

Seriously, this is a genuine concern, and I am anxious to hear your thoughts. When it comes down to it...what does it all mean if it's not about the important relationships in our lives?

Courtney said...

I imagined this transition being hard from where you were back to life in the US. I imagine that you almost get motion sick here, just standing...I wish there was a way to slow down everything here also. I love how your kids played with things and imagined things and built things instead of having to be entertained...my kids have such a short attention span already...we could use some of that "down" time and boredom here I know! :) Let us all know if you figure it out. HOw are the kids adjusting?

Marci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marci said...

We have talked about this already when we were in Costa Rica. This is still a HUGE concern of mine and a book that really helped me in this area was "Making Room For Life" by Randy Frazee. It helped me to put things in perspective.

I DO NOT want to continue on a merry go round that seems fun and exciting, but yet just goes in circles and nothing is ever TRULY accomplished. Not to mention the fact that I get dizzy going in circles- - motion sickness is a huge problem for me!! LOL

I wrote a book review about this book on my blog- - -if you just click on the link under My Labels that says "Book Reviews" on the right hand side of my blog, you should see it come up.

Marci said...

Oh, by the way, I was talking to my mom tonight and she was telling me she saw a report on Costa Rica and how people live longer there- - -there are many centurians (sp? people who live to be 100) and that it is related to the slow pace of life, less stress and their strong faith in God. That's what she said the report said. What are your thoughts about that?

I will be praying for your decisions on how to handle life now that you are back in the CHAOS of the USA!

Becky said...

I would really like to know when you figure it out! I feel busier now than ever before. Most of the time, it is doing "good" ministry stuff, but is is really that "good"? I question it a lot. We make things way too complicated, I think, but how to change that is next to impossible to figure out. I will be eager to read your next posts to see where you go from here!

Kipplyn said...

Ha! You guys are funny, as if I am going to figure out the answer to this problem! Thanks Marci, I read the review and plan to read the book. Some very good thoughts. Maybe my house will just become a "coffee house" and all of you can come on over for a visit!

rachel white said...

hi kipplyn! on a serious note (for just a second), i totally understand that the transition you all have just experienced (and will continue to experience for a while yet) can be rough. i went through this a lot with my parents and brother as they adjusted to being back in the states again. it's hard when all the people in your life have "continued living" while you've been away. and you may feel like you want to talk about costa rica a lot...and they may feel like they want to "catch you up" by talking about what's happened in their lives while you've been gone.

don't underestimate the importance of "debriefing" about your time away. finding someone who is willing to listen without fail...and ask questions...could be a HUGE help to you all as you adjust back to this chaotic life. : )