Thursday, April 17, 2008

Love In Spanish

You know how we use the word "love" for all kinds of things? "I love my car, my hair, my house, that necklace" Well, in Spanish they use the word for "want" in place of the word "love". It doesn't really fit with what we understand as the word for "want" For example, if you really like your car you would say "Yo quiero mi carro" Literally translated means "I want my car", but actually means "I really like my car" (I know this to be true in Costa Rica. It is possibly different in other places) Even for people that they like, they use the word for "want". There is no sexual connotation like in English, it is just the word they use. The word for love "amor" is reserved for your spouse, kids, or parents, and eventually for close friends. They just don't use it for stuff or "kinda-friends". Novel, huh? and btw "Te Quiero Mucho!"

3 comments:

Kayla said...

That is really weird!!!

Christy said...

"Te Quiero Much, tambien!"

I like that they have that distinction.

Christy said...

I meant "muchO" not "much" but it is kind of funny to speak Spanglish. (: