Monday, December 24, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies and Christmas Eve


This week, Kipplyn, Chandler, and RandiKate made chocolate chip cookies. They did it the old fashioned way, from scratch. They were great. It is a treat here. Last week, we we were able to buy chocolate chips on a trip to San Jose. It's hard to believe, but the people here have never had a chocolate chip cookie. They like them too.



It's Christmas Eve. It's raining. I spent the morning in Turrialba. I went to the Post Office to see if our packages had arrived. Every package that we were expecting from our family was there. I was able to get a ride with Hector and Daniel. It was a good thing. If I had taken the bus and picked up the packages, I would have had to take a taxi back to Tuis right away. I also made a trip to the pet store (SHHHHHH, it's still a secret) to buy a bunny. Actually, I bought two. They cost about $1.80 each. The lady in the pet store spoke very fast. When I asked her to repeat things, she spoke faster and louder as if I was unable to hear her. That is part of the joy of living in another country and learning a new language. I just smiled, decided to buy two (I'm a big spender), asked how much and paid her. I think we are going to give the bunnies to the kids after the Christmas service tonight at the church. Actually, Kipplyn does not know that there are two rabbits. She is still expecting one.

Right now, Kipplyn's grandmother (Grandmadele), her aunt (Aunt Annie), and cousin (Karissa) are traveling from Tulsa to San Jose, Costa Rica. They will be staying in a hotel in San Jose tonight and driving to Tuis in the morning. They will be staying in a nice 4-star resort near our home. Grandmadele is 87 years old and has another birthday in about 2 months. Annie & Karissa lived in Chile for years and speak Spanish well. We are looking forward to spending the week with them. We will not have classes at the school, so we will have lots of time to do things.

We have a Christmas tree on our front porch. It was a gift from Seidy (our helper and friend) and her family. It was very nice of her to do this. She and her daughter, Gabriela, came over this morning. Chandler went to Gabriela's "graduation" last week. I think they have a ceremony after they pass the 8th grade. Chandler is enjoying getting to know her.



Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope that you enjoy this season as we celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. I am in awe when I think that the creator of the world would send His Son as a child to live on this earth. That is why we celebrate this time of the year. May God bless you so that you may bless His people.

5 comments:

Shankle Life said...

Merry Christmas family! We miss you so much! It doesn't feel like Christmas without you---but in a way, it's really a great gift to be able to watch you guys go through this amazing experience! When can we come visit??? Love you all so much!
Aunt Stacy

Shankle Life said...

Merry Christmas guys! We are opening presents this morning and we miss you guys so much. We hope you are doing well. We love you!

Uncle Ben

p.s. I posted this a few days ago, but it was on an old post, so I don't know if you got it.

(Hi Guys!

I am so proud of you! What an experience this all has been. You guys are awesome. I can't believe everything you are doing! I tell everyone I know what you guys are doing. We really miss you guys. Can't wait for you to come home and live with us! HA! I love you all!

Uncle Ben)

Christy said...

I saw your post Ben and it is not funny. The Summers are coming to Bartlesville to live with the Cooks. (;


Merry Christmas!!! We miss you. I love your tree.

Adios.

Laura said...

Merry Christmas Summers family! How fun to celebrate in a different culture! We love to see your pictures and read the blog everyday. I pray your day was restful, Christ-filled, and full of family time! Enjoy those two new bunnies! The kids are going to be thrilled :) Blessings and hugs to you all.

Laura

lennie said...

Sorry I am a day late wishing all of you a Merry Christmas. We had a great Christmas with the kids and grandkids, lots of toys and noise. We spent the day with Mom and Dad on Christmas and both are doing good. Mom seems to be getting stronger everyday. I told them about Bo's trip with the girls, wish they had a computer and would use it so they could keep up with you'll adventure. We pray for you'll and hope the experience you are having will bring all of you'll and the people you meet closer to God. We are lucky to have a healthy and wonderful family to share our lives with.
We love you.
Uncle Lennie